Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Back into the swing of things

I need to get on here more often! I know, I'm a total slacker, but, I've been so busy I cannot help it! The Internet is not something I get on at home hardly ever, unless it's something I have to look up like a phone number or recipe. I get on Facebook, but it's on my phone, so really it doesn't count.

It is snowing here today...can you believe this crap! Snow! Since when does it snow in April? Yesterday was the Red's Opening Day and each year if you are not a season ticket holder than you can enter this lottery to get a change to purchase tickets. Last year I was chosen and didn't get tickets, and was kinda bummed a little that we didn't buy any or go. (Scott's not into the whole Opening day deal, and I've never been but it looks like so much fun!). This year I didn't win and I'm kind of glad! It was freezing cold and raining yesterday, so, no tears here! God bless those who did brave the cold weather for the boys of summer!

I love baseball season. Scott is in his 4th year of coaching high school baseball (cannot believe it's already been 4 years since he has come home from baseball for good...it's gone so fast!) and although I complain a bunch and it get's kinda hectic at our house at night (even more so since Beckett is here now as well) I really love it. And, I love that he loves it. There is just something about him when he talks about baseball, weather he is complaining about it or not....you can just tell it's in his blood. He truly loves the game of baseball and I don't really think he could function without it. I know that sometimes he says that he is done and he's ready to call it quits on coaching, but, I know that this is just him. It's a huge part of him that I don't think that he will ever be able to give up. I remember before we found out that I was pregnant with Parker Scott had this huge dilemma about baseball. I think it was wearing on him that he was gone all of the time and he was never at home and he was missing so many things. He would call and tell me that he was ready to hang it up, come home, quit living out of a suitcase. I was so worried about him. I called his best friends, we would have hour long conversations about what was wrong with him and what was going on to make him feel like that. He eventually told me that it just wasn't fun anymore and that baseball was supposed to be fun and not a job. Then we found out shortly after his big crisis that I was pregnant with Parker. I didn't want to tell him because I didn't want him to feel like he had to leave baseball for us. But, he did that all on his own. He said to me, "I would rather be a good daddy than a good baseball player." I don't think I will ever forget the moment he said that to me. Made me realize how special he really is. He was so scared to give it up though too. He didn't know what he was going to do with his life--all he had ever known was baseball. He never even really had a job (unless you count working at Bob Evans as a bus boy for about 2 months in high school with Greg Jones...and it really doesn't count because those two did nothing but goof off!) Now look at him. A Special Ed teacher (and a damn good one at that) and in just two short weeks he will have his Master's degree in Special Education! Definitely not something that I saw happening, but, he is so good at it! This was truly his calling, he just didn't realize it. And, although he was a damn good baseball player...he is a way better daddy. And, being a teacher and a daddy may not pay the millions of dollars that being a professional baseball player does, but I'm going to guarantee that it's 100% more rewarding!

So, anyways, off of my rant. (Got a little sidetracked there!). So, it's baseball season and we are getting closer and closer to the warmer weather and the days spent in the pool. I love the summer, and cannot wait for it to finally be here for good!

No comments: